Forgot to mention

When I was back in the states two weeks ago, Megan and I finally handled the ordering of her engagement ring. "It was about time!" seemed to be the general consensus, but there it is. We did a bit of shopping around and after meeting with the good people at Genovese Jewelers up on Olive Road, we were set in our decision to have them make the ring for us. We had a design we liked, we picked out a diamond which we lovingly called "spready." We called it this because it was cut to be wider and flatter instead of the proper proportions. We thought we were done.

We made one other stop that afternoon at Nieman's just on a whim to check out the selection there. There were some very traditional rings for some very untraditional prices. And by untraditional I mean ridiculously expensive. There was one ring that Megan liked, which unfortunately would have meant trading in the wedding for the ring. So I promised that we would get it for her "one day" and moved on. We hated the sales lady anyway...she was an almost depressing caricature of an aging Nieman's sales lady, complete with the vacuous visage and overly colognated corpus.

We were sold on the Genovese ring. But on a whim, we figured we would still go to Hufford's on the following day and see if he couldn't match the price or at least work some deal.

The next day, Megan and I went to meet with Duff. We sat down and Duff pulled out the rings that we had seen on a previous visit as well as the style that Megan had wanted to see (he had had it overnighted from the designer.) Damnit it looked good on her. Duff also had some diamonds set aside for us to look at, and let me tell you this was the selling point for me. Duff''s diamonds were a far cry from the ones offered at Genovese. Near flawless, brilliantly cut, sparkling to an almost blinding level. To me, the perfect symmetry, the mathematical prowess of the cut, the beauty of the nature of the crystal, was all I needed to make me happy in the ring. The setting could have been anything. The setting, of course, was of a little import to Megan so I was presented with the difficult decision of choosing the right setting for my Meggles.

I asked her to leave the room so Duff and I could discuss which one I chose. I told him.

We went out of his office to meet Megan and Duff measured her finger for the ring.

It took Megan no more than one full minute to figure out which ring I had bought her. Apparently I had forgotten that one of the rings required a special measuring technique. Megan had not. And I had failed to measure her both ways. Ah well...sometimes she is too sharp for her own good :)

Anyway, the ring is bought, it is being made, and we should have it relatively soon. Duff says about 2 more months.

So YAY! Ring's on it's way!

Lala
TBW&MJL

0 comments:

Copyright © 2009 - La La Love You - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Blogger Theme distributed by FREE Templates 4U